Save the Date – Legislation Conference & Sacramento Safari – 1/13-14/2017
Save the Date: March 13-14. 2017
Legislation Conference / Sacramento Safari
California State PTA
Sacramento Embassy Suites Hotel
Registration Opens Soon
Check capta.org/programs-events/legislation-conference/ for more.
Check out the Latest From the California State PTA Legislation Team
Click above to open!
National PTA Board Passes New Position Statements
National PTA’s Board of Directors adopted two new position statements on positive school discipline and assessment last week:
- Position on positive school discipline states that exclusionary discipline practices should only be used in schools as a last resort effort and on an individualized basis in schools. Read the full statement
- Position on student assessment and opt-out policies calls for all students to participate in high-quality, comprehensive assessments. Read the full statement
National PTA position statements can be used as authority for positions taken by state, district, council and unit PTAs. You can find a full listing of National PTA position statements by clicking here.
As a child advocacy association, our legislative mission is to speak on behalf of all children and youth at the local, state and federal levels. One of the purposes of PTA is “to secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.” PTA promotes and encourages legislative advocacy for the education and welfare of all children and youth.
PTA legislative advocacy chairmen are responsible for providing leadership on children’s issues at the local level by educating PTA members, community members and elected officials about PTA’s issues of concern and legislative priorities and goals.
If your association does not have a Legislative Chairman, consider appointing someone. Your bylaws could be amended to include a Vice President of Legislation. PTA has a lot of support and help for members interested in legislation below are some suggestions.
Sign up to receive e-mail updates from:
- Your school district
- Your PTA council (if available)
- Ninth District PTA
- California State PTA – www.capta.org
- National PTA – www.pta.org
- Current Legislation from California State PTA
- PTA in California newsletter
Events to calendar and budget to attend that are helpful to our collaborative efforts:
- California State PTA Legislative Conference
- California State PTA Convention
- Council/district PTA-sponsored legislative field office visits
California State PTA Resources
California State PTA has released this new resource to help with your local advocacy work. The notebook was developed for PTA leaders at all levels.
Click the notebook cover to the left to download in pdf format (large file – be patient during the download).