The treasurer is an elected officer and the authorized custodian of all funds of the local PTA. Some responsibilities of the office are specified in the unit bylaws and others are established by district PTA and California State PTA procedures. The treasurer’s duties also include keeping records and preparing reports to comply with local, state and federal laws. California State PTA resources for treasurers are listed at the bottom of this page.

Need More?

The outgoing treasurer cannot pay bills after the end of his/her term when the books are closed for audit. Upon assuming office, the incoming treasurer may pay authorized bills and deposit funds in the PTA bank account before the audit is completed. Below are some tools that can help treasurers:

Go to Treasurer Forms

Welcome to Our Tax Help Area

uncle-sam-wants-youAll PTAs Must File Tax Returns

California State PTA is committed to providing information to help make your PTA aware of the latest state and federal requirements. Federal laws and new state laws require nonprofit groups, including PTAs, to file tax returns. Below is a list of the new requirements as they relate to PTAs for the federal IRS Form 990, and for the State of California Franchise Tax Board Form 199 and Attorney General’s Registry of Charitable Trusts RRF-1.

All forms must be filed no later than 4 months and 15 days after the fiscal year ends. Fiscal year dates can be found in bylaws (Article XIII) or contact your district president. The name to be used on the Federal form 990 is “PTA California Congress of Parents dba [name on front cover of the bylaws].” The name to be used on all state filings is the name found on the bylaws. The Group Exemption Number is 0646.

The bylaws (Article XIV) list the appropriate numerical identifiers for each report. The IRS uses an Employers Identification Number (EIN). The Franchise Tax Board has assigned an 8 digit corporation or entity number and the Attorney General uses a Charitable Trust (CT) number.

irs_logoFederal IRS Form 990

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 990 tax returns or an extension request Form 8868 must be filed no later than four months and 15 days after the fiscal year-end. Check your PTA bylaws for your fiscal year-end. See filing instructions at

The list below identifies the IRS form needed for different levels of gross income for your PTA:

  • Normally equal to or less than $50,000 – 990N
  • More than $50,000 and less than $200,000 and total assets are less than $500,000 – 990EZ
  • Equal to or more than $200,000 or more, and total assets are equal to or more than $500,000 – 990

All Forms 990 or 990EZ require a Schedule A be completed. Schedule B must be completed if the PTA receives a donation of $5,000 or more from a single donor.

Seal_of_the_Attorney_General_of_CaliforniaCalifornia State Franchise Tax Board Form 199

All PTA units, councils and districts must file the Form 199. Returns are due four months and 15 days after the fiscal year-end. To see more information on the Form 199N go to

The list below identifies the State form needed for different levels of gross income for your PTA:

  • Normally equal to or less than $50,000 – 199N
  • Normally greater than $50,000 – 199

California Attorney General’s Office

Charitable Trust

The Annual Registration Renewal Report (RRF-1) must be filed every year. A fee is required if the Gross Receipts exceed $25,000. If the association answers any of the questions “Yes,” additional information is required.
PTA audits done by a volunteer are NOT prepared in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principle

Planning to conduct drawings or charitable gaming activities?

If you are planning a raffle ( or a gaming activity ( you can apply for a raffle or gaming certificate before you advertise the event. Speak with your council or district for undertaking the event(s).
An Opportunity Drawing is an activity wherein no one purchases a ticket and everyone is given a chance to win. This is not a raffle and does not require a raffle permit. If everyone who purchases a hot dog has a chance to win, it is a raffle and a permit is required.


Tools and guidance to help PTAs meet federal and state nonprofit reporting requirements are available at You can also email or call (888) 564-6782. This service includes:

  • Direct assistance for local PTA leaders about what to file and how to file your tax information
  • Help resolving problems when your PTA receives a letter from governmental entities such as the IRS or State Franchise Tax Board
  • Answers to your questions regarding tax filings that are required for all PTAs
  • Guidance through the reinstatement process if your PTA has been revoked (although with our help early on, this should never happen to your PTA)

Treasurer Forms

Updated 10/10/17

Annual Financial Report and Budget

Annual financial report and budget sample (2017)

Financial Calendar


First Meeting of the Year Motions and Minutes

Motions and Minutes.First association meeting of the year.sample

Out of Council Remittance

Out of Council Remittance Form


CA Attorney General RRF-1


Workers Compensation


California State PTA Resources


6 thoughts on “Treasurer”

  1. The RRF-1 form is partially filled in for a prior year and I cannot modify it. Can you upload a current form? Thank you!

  2. Is there a difinitive amount stated somewhere or a rule of how much a PTA is supposed to have in a budget or carryover?

    1. Thank you for your question. There is not a definitive amount that should be included in your budget for the carry-over to the next fiscal year. It should be enough that the incoming board can cover the initial costs of the unit before they begin to put together their programs, budget and fundraisers to support that budget. Often that amount is determined by what types of back-to-school events happen at the beginning of the year prior to the fundraising start. You should look at the annual financial report for past year guidance.

      Info from CAPTA:

  3. Hello. I noticed that the blank Workers Comp forms are the same, but the samples are different. Is there a different form for “with employees” than “no employees”? I found only the one version on the capta website.

    1. The two forms are not quite the same – the ‘no employees’ version has a no-employees entry on line 1 under name of worker. Other than you are correct that is only one basic form.

Leave a Reply