For more information, see How to Tell When a Kid is Struggling Emotionally or email email@example.com.
Building Capacity and Welcoming Practices in Military-Connected School
Check out the March 2014 edition of the Building Capacity and Welcoming Practices in Military-Connected Schools from USC. BC Newsletter March 2014
Education focuses on Kindergarten through 12th grade public school issues. We encourage PTAs to actively participate at all levels of decision-making, from the school site, to local school boards, to state and federal government bodies. Organization-wide advocacy goals for this term include:
- Adequate funding for education to ensure every child has the opportunity to meet his or her full potential
- Access to a full curriculum for every student that includes physical education, arts and STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics).
Our work focuses on over-arching goals, including the following issues:
- School finance reform
- Infusion of quality STEM education from K-12
- Increased availability of Linked Learning at the high school level
- 21st century skills for all students
- Transitional Kindergarten
- Quality expanded learning (summer school & after school) opportunities for all
- Strengthening teacher and administrator effectiveness
- Implementing Common Core State Standards (CCSS)
- Student assessment & school accountability
Parent Involvement acknowledges parents as the first teachers of their child and realizes the integral role that parents play in the total development of the child. The commission supports parents/guardians and family caregivers by:
- Strengthening/teaching parenting skills and encouraging involvement in schools and at home
- Supporting the understanding of childhood development stages
- Providing resource materials such as Parents Empowering Parents – PEP Guide (Los Padres Eligen Participar).
- Networking with agencies and groups focusing on parent involvement
California State PTA Resources